Buttered Fava Bean Salad with Soft-boiled Eggs
450g unshelled fava beans (also known locally as kacang pool or kacang parang)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
60g crusty rye bread
Zest from ½ lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh minced dill
2 cups baby spinach
2 soft-boiled eggs
Lemon wedges, for serving
- Bring a pot of water to a boil with a hefty pinch of salt and prepare an ice bath. Shell the fava beans and place in the boiling water. Boil for 60 seconds and immediately transfer to an ice bath. Once cool, shell the favas.
Shred the rye bread (by pulling it apart with your fingers) into small crumb-like pieces and a few slightly larger pieces for varied texture.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a pan over medium-low heat and add the bread. Toast until the bread is golden and the crumbs have crisped.
- Wipe out the pan and return to a low-heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoon of butter along with lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Add the shelled favas and cook for roughly a minute, just to warm the beans. Remove from heat and stir in the dill.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Add the favas along with most of the toasted bread. Toss together then top with sliced soft-boiled eggs, the remaining toasted bread, and a sprinkle of dill.
- Tips: You may follow this method (goo.gl/WSnSF3) to make soft boiled eggs.
~ enjoy ~