HOMEADE EGG-BASED ICE CREAM
1 cup whole milk
1.5 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean (split and scraped) or vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Combine milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Add vanilla seeds and pod. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- To make sure that the eggs do not curdle, whisk in half of the milk mixture very, very gradually—by adding just a tablespoon or two at a time, and stirring between additions.
- Pour egg-milk mixture back into pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour custard through a fine sieve into a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice water; discard vanilla pod. Let cool, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Tips: This base can be used to make other flavoured ice-creams (e.g., chocolate or cinnamon ice creams).
~ enjoy ~